Monday, March 5, 2018

613 Avenue Create #207-Anything Goes-Optional Twist: Reuse/Upcycle

We have a fun twist at 613 Avenue Create this month - to Reuse/Upcycle something. It's always fun to re-purpose an item or two.  I used a paper napkin from an event I attended to create a card front. (I tend to save pretty napkins. I have them in a drawer.) I've made cards with napkins in the past using a glue stick to glue down the napkin to card stock. My friends showed me how to use plastic wrap and an iron to adhere the napkin, but I never got around to actually doing that.  Finally, a few months ago, a friend showed me how to use spray adhesive. So when this challenge came along, that's what I did.

 Here's the card I made:


It's hard to tell in the picture, but the biggest flower is popped up along with a small purple flower below it.  I glued down two panels of the napkin, and fussy cut two flowers from the second panel to pop up for a bit of dimension. I cut down the first panel, distressed the edges with ink, and adhered it to a card base onto which I had stamped a design, making my own DP.  I die cut a sentiment, distressed that with ink, and added it.  Done!

Here's the napkin I used (folded in half):


I must say that using the spray adhesive was a lot easier than the glue stick method. My friend said it's even easier than the heated plastic wrap method. Of course, you just need to spray in a box and have lots of ventilation.  If I can do it, believe me, it's easy. And fun. It's a nice way to remember a special event or party. You can even send your host/hostess a thank you using a napkin from the event. People really get a kick out of that, believe me.

Card stock:  Michael's 60 lb. and 110 lb.
Inks:  Close to My Heart Chocolate, Sweet Leaf and Topiary
Stamps:  Close to My Heart, retired
Die:  Anna Griffin

Challenges:
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes
The Crafter's Cafe Challenge #191 - Recycling
Love to Craft Challenge #20 March - Anything Goes

  The Crafter's Cafe Challenge Blog  SPREAD THE CRAFTY LOVE - grab a badge!

You'll want to pay the blog a visit to see what the designers have come up with. Then get to crafting and join us!

Thanks for visiting!






6 comments:

  1. Beautiful creation and a wonderful way to use those pretty napkins. SO glad you joined us at the Crafter Café, CarolG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card Sheila-love the gorgeous bright coloured flowered napkin-you can also use slightly watered down PVA glue and over the top too
    Carol x
    --Thank you for joining us at Love To Craft
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at YOU! This is just beautiful and you can tell the larger flower is popped up...the shadow shows that nicely! I've tried the cling wrap-iron technique, but not very successfully. Recently saw a video using the glue stick, so thought to try that (haven't yet!). I'd be interested in your technique with the spray (what kind, what's the procedure, etc). This is such a gorgeous sunny napkin and what a beautiful card you turned it into! Go Sheila!!!! TFS & Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tremendous effort!! Love the bright colors, Sheila! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Anything Goes” Challenge! Beautiful colors and design. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant idea for recycling, thanks for joining as at The Crafter's Cafe for our Recycle challenge.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your taking the time to leave a comment!